Lazy but elegant, soft-spoken but lethal with the bat and a ‘treat-to-the-eye’ when in full flow – that’s Rohit Sharma for you. The Mumbai batsman created history on Wednesday (13th December, 2017), as he smashed 208* against Sri Lanka in the second ODI at Mohali and became the only batsman in history to score three double hundreds in ODIs. This innings powered the Men-in-Blue to 392/4, a target that proved 141 runs too many for the visitors (251/8). In the process, the hosts levelled the three-match series 1-1.
During his record-breaking spree on a hazy afternoon at Mohali, Rohit kept raising the bar higher.
Here is a brief look at the plethora of records set by ‘Hitman’, on a day that was his marriage-anniversary:
1) He is the only batsman to hit three double centuries in ODIs
2) Rohit is now currently tied with Sachin Tendulkar and David Warner in the list of most 150+ scores in ODIs (5 times).
3) The ODI opener has hit 45 sixes in 2017, the most by an Indian player ever in a calendar year.
4) 208* is the highest individual ODI score of calendar year 2017. It is also the highest individual score ever in an ODI at the Punjab Cricket Association IS Bindra Stadium.
5) Incidentally, this was India’s 100th 300+ score, the first team to achieve this feat. What makes this feat even more remarkable was the fact that the Indian team was the last side (amongst ODI nations playing then) in April, 1996 to achieve this feat.
Rohit has been at the top of his game after his promotion as an opener in January 2013. Out of his 16 ODI tons, 14 have come at the top. His batting average shoots up to 56.32 as compared to his overall 45.51 when he gets to face the new ball.
What stood out on Wednesday (like his earlier double hundreds) was the way Rohit accelerated after crossing 100.
|13 December, 2017||Mohali||115 balls||36 balls|
|14 November, 2014||Kolkata||100 balls||40 balls|
|02 November, 2013||Bangalore||114 balls||42 balls|
Incredible numbers, if ever there were any! Here are some reactions on social media after the stupendous feat.
Wah Rohit Wah ! 35 balls for the second hundred. So proud of you Rohit Sharma ! pic.twitter.com/EPWGZ2qcaG— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) December 13, 2017
Well played @ImRo45 👏👏👍treat to watch him play like this. Makes batting look so easy.— Mahela Jayawardena (@MahelaJay) December 13, 2017
A third double for Rohit. When the conditions are in his favour, he is really quite unmatched— Harsha Bhogle (@bhogleharsha) December 13, 2017
Ton-ton-a-ton is @ImRo45's signature tune. Staggering appetite for double centuries in ODIs!— Cricketwallah (@cricketwallah) December 13, 2017