Factfile: IND vs SA in T20I
After a washout in Dharamsala, the T20 action between India and South Africa is scheduled to begin in Mohali's IS Bindra PCA stadium on 18th September.
Over the years, both India and South Africa have played some fantastic cricket in the shortest format of the game. Despite India's 8-5 win-loss (overall) record against South Africa, the hosts have never won a T20I against the Proteas in India.
Here are a few more IND vs SA facts that we think might interest you:
1) India made their T20 international debut against South Africa. The match was played in Johannesburg in 2006. India chased down 126 runs with one ball remaining thanks to a well-paced innings from Dinesh Karthik (31* off 28 balls), who was later adjudged as the man of the match.
2) MS Dhoni-led team India also faced the Proteas in the inaugural Twenty 20 World Cup in 2007. Rohit Sharma (50*) and MS Dhoni (45) helped India put 153 runs on board. India defended the total with ease, thanks to a magical spell from RP Singh (4/13 in 4 overs), best tally between the two sides ever till Buvneshwar struck a 5-fer in 2018.
3) Both teams have played 15 T20Is against each other. India lead the head-to-head 8-5. The other two matches were washed (Kolkata, 2018 and Dharamsala, 2019).
4) India is yet to register a T20I win against South Africa in India with two losses to their name.
5) Rohit Sharma has scored 341 runs in 10 innings he has batted against South Africa. He has one hundred and two fifties to his name. Suresh Raina is the only other Indian to score a 100 against South Africa (Gros Islet, 2010).
6) Virat Kohli was India's third player to have captained the Men in Blue in T20I vs South Africa. Virender Sehwag and MS Dhoni being the first two. Rohit Sharma also led India in one T20I in the absence of regular captain V. Kohli.
7) Post Graeme Smith's era of South African cricket, the Proteas also saw a few leaders in T20s. The list includes Johan Botha, AB de Villiers, Faf du Plessis, JP Duminy and now wicket-keeper batsman Quinton de Kock.
8) In 2012 World Twenty 20, both teams were involved in one of the best T20Is ever. India won the match by just one run. SA required 14 runs to win in the last over with 2 wickets in hand. Here’s how the over panned out: 6, Wkt, 0, 6, Wkt. This was the only time SA were bowled out against India in T20I.
9) One of India’s five defeats came in Jo’burg in 2012. Chasing a huge target of 220 runs, India were 71/0 in 7.5 overs before rain interrupted the play. South Africa were declared the winner based on D/L method. This was one of the rare occasions when a team lost a match without losing a wicket while chasing.